Wanna black out your Tesla emblems but don’t want to ruin them? Or maybe you just don’t want to take them off? Here’s how.
What You Need
- Time – minimum 3 hours
- Plasti dip x1 can
- Masking/frog/painters tape
- Paper – regular copy paper, newspaper, any paper
- Alcohol – 1 part 70% iso alcohol & 4 parts water
What is Plasti Dip?
It’s a water-based rubber coating that lasts about 3 years if taken care of. Some benefits are that it protects your coated items against moisture, acids, abrasion, & corrosion. Much like vinyl, if you don’t like it after a while, you can just peel it off. So, it’s NOT permanent, and it won’t damage the chrome. An important tip is to not go through a car wash or spray a pressure washer directly on it.
How to Install
If any of these steps are confusing, the video above will show/explain further!
- It’s best to install inside a garage to avoid direct sunlight, humidity, and the wind. Clean emblems thoroughly with alcohol. You can use a cotton swab or a squeegee wrapped in a microfiber to get in the edges. If you have dirt or water left on there, it won’t stick!
- Tape around the emblem – about an inch or two away all the way around.
- Tape paper (copy paper, newspaper) around the emblem starting at the first tape you just put down. This will need to reach out at least 2 feet to eliminate overspray. Newspaper is nice because you can have much more coverage by unfolding the papers.
- Shake can for 1 min AND remember to shake in between sprays. It’s also good to do a test spray on scrap paper before spraying the emblem each time to make sure it’s spraying evenly.
- Spray head on about 6” from the logo, moving side to side, slightly overlapping the strokes. Make it even. Wait 10-30 min. The time will vary based on the thickness of your coat. Also temp and humidity will delay it.
- Spray from the top angle, wait 10 min minimum.
- Bottom angle, wait 10 min minimum.
- Side, wait 10 min minimum.
- Other side, wait 10 min minimum.
- Spray head on one last time for good measure. Wait about 30 min after this final coat. It should be dry to the touch.
- Peel the tape off and try to get a head start in peeling up the excess while you’re at it.
- Peel away from the emblem and it should automatically cut at the base of it.
- Use a toothpick or a plastic tool for the crevices if it doesn’t come out clean.
- Wait about 4 hours before driving or washing your car.