Whether you’re taking it off to install a hitch or to wrap the vinyl over the edges, there may be a time where you may need to remove the bumpers. Okay, maybe not often, but it could happen. Removing any bumper could be a daunting task if you’re inexperienced. So we created this guide on how to remove the Model Y rear bumper safely and efficiently.
Tools You Need
- 8mm socket
- 10mm socket
- 8mm stubby wrench
- Pry tools
- Blue tape
We forgot to do this part in the video, but you want to tape your rear quarter panel with a blue or green tape. We typically put two layers just to ensure we don’t damage anything while removing the bumper. It’s always good to practice safety when removing things.
Tail Light Removal
- Remove the bolt on top of the tail lights. Simply use a pry tool to remove it.
- Dislodge the weather seal.
- Remove the trunk plastic piece. There are four clips.
- Remove the clips that hold the trunk fabric.
- Pop out the side trim pieces. They are in two pieces but you don’t have to fully remove it – Just remove it enough to the point where you can use a stubby wrench to remove the bolts.
- Unclip the tail light connector. You need to push the red clip up, then wiggle it gently to remove the connection.
- Use a stubby wrench to unbolt the two 8mm bolts.
- Pull the tail lights out. Try to pull straight out, so you avoid breaking the side rails off of the tail lights.
Clips and Bolts Removal
- Remove the four clips on each side of the wheel well. Use a prying tool or trim removal tool to push the pin up, then pull it out. Do it on both sides.
- Remove all nine 10mm bolts underneath the undercarriage. Refer to the video to find out which ones you need to remove.
- Remove the two 10mm bolts that cover the motor. This will help later when you’re putting the bumper back into place.
- Remove the trim by the wheels. Pull straight out to dislodge the clips. Don’t pull everything out – only the parts by the bumper.
- Remove the 8mm bolt by the bumper.
- Remove the two 10mm bolts on the top part of the bumper where the tail lights used to be.
- Starting from the sides, pull the bumper until you dislodge the clips that are holding the bumper in place. It’s best to alternate between sides if you’re doing this alone.
- Once you get to the center, pull carefully while supporting the bumper with your knee so it doesn’t fall.
- Once it is removed, make sure to disconnect to sensor cables. Simply slide the red tab out and push the black pin to disconnect it.
- And that’s it. You’ve successfully removed your rear bumper!
Tips & Tricks when Reinstalling the Rear Bumper
- There’s a triangle on the body of the car and a rectangular wedge on the bumper side. This is a guideline so you align the bumper and center it correctly.
- Start from the middle. This will ensure everything falls into place.
- When putting the trims back by the tires, make sure you put the bottom part first and align that. If you don’t, you’ll have to remove it again and start over.